Sunday, May 15, 2005

Cataclysm

I just keep telling myself that it isn't very important.

All the sent files, the emails, the records... there's nothing there that I can't do without, or recreate, or retrieve from others; it's not a big deal.

And then I beign to realize that I don't even know how bad it is, and I won't until I need something and realize that's one of the things that's gone.

But what are we talking about here, a few nice quotes from satisfied clients? There'll be more. A few emails from my wife that I was treasuring? She'll write me more mash notes in the years to come. Records of my various electronic adventures and foibles? If I don't need it for taxes, it's not a big deal -- and I'll always have my memories, right? Wetware is still superior.

And I have my files, at least. None of my freelance work is trashed -- just the instructions from clients on my live projects. And I have all my photos and movies, family stuff that truly can't be replaced. So it's not all bleakness tonight.

Then why do I feel like finding out if drinking really will make me feel better?

3 comments:

The Misanthrope said...

working drinks, abbsoluuutely

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that you saved my e-mail, that is so sweet. Not that it will fix it, but I will send you more.

Chandira said...

Ahh! :-) Wife, that's so sweet, isn't it?

Sorry! I can empathize, when trying to unsuccessfully install that F***ing iPod... I lost a bunch of stuff, and our computer's never been the same.
Beer is good. Until you wake up next morning and HAVE to figure out a way to fix it. ;-)