Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Misanthrope – Sunday’s Lighter Side

Of all the days that's in the week
I dearly love but one day—
And that's the day that comes betwixt
A Saturday and Monday.
Henry Carey (1687 - 1743), poet and composer

What I am Listening To. I am listening to the new Van Morrison CD “Magic Time.” If you like mellow somewhat jazzy rock music Morrison has struck a nice balance. I haven’t had a lot to time to listen to it, but one song I particularly like is “Just Like Greta.” The lyrics are rather good:

Some days it gets completely crazy/And I feel like howling at the moon
Then sometime it feels so easy/Like I was born with a silver spoon

Other times you just can’t reach me/Seems like I’ve got a heart of stone
Guess I need my solitude/And I have to make it on my own

Well I guess I’m going AWOL/Disconnect my telephone
Just like Greta Garbo/I want to be alone

The other CD I am listening to is Shelby Lynn’s "Suit Yourself." The best song on that CD is “I Cry Everyday.” I would give this CD a C and Van Morrison’s a B.

Books. Earlier this week B2 suggested On The Mark and I answer questions about books. Here are my answers:

Number of Books I own: I would say close to a thousand. They are primarily hard cover first editions, many are signed.

Last Book Purchased. I am not sure, but it might be "Uncensored Views & (Re) Views" by Joyce Carol Oats.

Last Book I Read. Saturday by Ian McEwan, which is very good.

Five Books that Mean a Lot. (1) Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (2) Watership Down by Richard Adams (3) Genius by Harold Bloom (4) Churchill by William Manchester volumes 1 & 2 (5) STP [Stones Touring Party] A Journey Through America with the Rolling Stones by Robert Greenfield

All the Best. Daughter takes the LSAT test Monday, the day she turns 21.

2 comments:

CJ Srullowitz said...

Does it bother you at all that there are so many books to read, so much music to listen to and, lulei demistafina, not enough time?

The Misanthrope said...

It does not bother me at all. It makes me absolutely crazy! If I don't read the books they become $20 an inch wallpaper.