Thursday, September 29, 2005

On The Mark -- The Digital Camera's Dirty Little Secret

While I was shooting some photos with my digital camera in Moscow recently, I suddenly got a message on my camera that said I must re-format my disk in order to proceed. However, if I re-formatted my disk I would lose all my previous shots. When I returned home I brought the disk into my local professional camera store where I buy all my film for 35 mm and digital cameras.

The owner's response was surprising (at least to me): "Yeah, that's the digital camera industry's dirty little secret. It's a glitch they haven't been able to fix yet. I can't tell you how many times professional photographers come into my store in a panic because they've experienced the same thing."

I had to send my disk to the manufacturer to attempt to restore the photos onto a CD. I had to sign a release form stating that I realize that all photos may be lost as they attempt to retrieve them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Make sure you transfer your shots to your PC sooner than later.

3 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Gentleman,

I hope that you are all doing well and that the fire is not endangering your homes.

The Misanthrope said...

Thanks for asking. I will take the privilege of answering, since I saw your question first.

I am fine, wife and I just had traffic issues yesterday it took her 3.5 hours to get home. I left earlier and made it in 2.5.

On the Mark has ashes raining on his house, but I am certain he has nothing to worry about.

B2 is not in any of the fire zones this week.

Anonymous said...

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm thisll fix you up next time