Sunday, October 09, 2005

And I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow.

Twelve months, one thousand posts, and one hundred thousand hits. Give or take.

Toner Mishap has been a great way to spend my time, and the blogosphere has been a great place to coexist with my alternate self, but the time has come to close the curtain on this chapter of my life and bury the hatchet in a mixed metaphor. Or something like that.

My wife is always close to my thoughts. Whenever I start something new, I wonder how she will react -- to my papercutting, to my dads' zine (Another Mouth), to this blog... sometimes I clue her in early, and sometimes she finds out later, but she always supports me and makes me feel good about myself. When I told her that the Mishap was no longer going to be an everyday concern, but rather an every-so-often one, she voiced real concern; it seems that for her this has been a real window into my mind, and she wonders how we will connect now. For this, if for no other reason, I have something better to do with my time every day than attempting to amuse strangers with either (1) how geeky I am, or (2) how geeky I'm not: I just need little more time with my rabbi to let her know how much she means to me.

In the past year I've blogged on comics, D&D, Edward Hopper, and Chewbacca (and a few other things). I've shared music, photos, thoughts, and rants. I've introduced you to Guerilla Gorilla (who still, to this day, refuses to spell "guerrilla" correctly), and maybe even to Hector Vex, Attila, Beaucoup Kevin, Rick Richman's Jewish Current Issues, and Jay Pinkerton.

What will I do now? The hardest part about starting something new, I have learned, is finding the time to do it. I already have the time blocked out, because I committed it to Toner Mishap; now I hope to be spending that time with my my knife.

Thank you all for joining us on this adventure. Thank you to the Misanthrope and On the Mark for making it even more enjoyable. And thank you to my biggest fan, as always, my wife.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit that it took me a while to catch on to your blog, mostly because I did not even know what a blog was, and it took me even longer to figure out to check it on a regular basis to see what you were writing about. Despite my teasing you about it, I have found it entertaining and an interesting insight into what else you think about. I should be more surprised about your knowledge of comics and StarWars, but you did have a lego space world set up in your room when you were 17, so I guess I knew what I was getting into.
You know that I have a bit of a crush on your alter-ego and it has been refreshing to be reminded that even after almost 18 years together if I did not know you, I would want to meet you (I admit that your slightly edgier persona turns me on).
I can't wait to see what you do next, you always manage to surprise me.

Attila said...

Very sad (for us, not for you).

Thanks for the laughs you've provided. Thanks for guest blogging for me this summer.

And just thanks.

bitchphd said...

I always liked your posts; for whatever reason, though I tended to differ with you more than the others (or maybe because I tended to differ with you more than the others), I always found them fun and thought-provoking. Will miss you.

Andrew said...

So long, and thanks for all the fish. I'll miss my daily dose.

B2 said...

Your comments, as always, are appreciated -- thank you for stopping by, and for the good company of your words these past 12 months.

Anonymous said...

B2 -- this is unfortuate for the blogosphere, to which you were a unique and interesting contributor, but it sure sounds like you have a great wife/reader to keep the dialogue going. Enjoy Act III.

IWByte said...

Whoosh - a year goes by... I guess that's the last of my sending you 'blog-fodder'. I'd start my own, but who's got time for that :)

Thanks for the great distractions