Sunday, October 30, 2005

This and That

Nothing matters very much, and very few things matter at all.
Arthur Balfour (1848 - 1930), British prime minister

Toner Mishap. As you can see I have decided to keep writing for Toner Mishap. The two-week break was much needed and reminded me of the joy of writing on the blog. The discipline of writing for the blog I find spills over to creative writing. If I don’t write daily on the blog I'm less inclined to write at all. So I will continue to post items, but on my own timetable, no longer trying to post items daily before 9 p.m. (PST) in order to have fresh content for a new day by (EST),which will relieve the pressure I felt previously.

Without On the Mark and B2 contributing regularly (B2 will have a post on Monday) I feel as though I am in a big house by myself. So, I am sure the direction will change a bit, new blog links will start appearing, and some old ones will be leaving. Maybe I should borrow Jack’s title and call this Random Thoughts II, which has a nice ring to it, but I love Toner Mishap.

If you are sticking around thank you, if you are just coming around, welcome.

East Coast. I am heading out to New York for meetings for a couple of days and then I will zoom over and see Daughter in D.C. She already has tours lined up for the day. We are going to tour the Capital, the Supreme Court, and the Library of Congress. I should have many pictures from my new camera and a few comments about D.C. This will be my first visit to the nation’s capital.

Shooting Pool. It seems that our weekly pool playing at On the Mark’s has slipped into about a once or twice a month gathering because of all the things that have to be done on a Saturday. The previous Saturday, On the Mark and I bought a half core of firewood that we picked up and delivered to our respective homes. You know it gets so cold out here that we have to have our firewood ready for our long dreary winters of 60-degree evenings. Nonetheless, having a fire creates a great ambiance for reading and napping.

The Boy King. No I am not talking about W, but King Tut and how we have turned him into a joke. Steve Martin’s King Tut single years ago was very funny, now this is humorous too, but in a sad sort of way. A tissue dispenser seems a bit silly, which is why it probably makes it a great office or bathroom item for discussion. I have to admit, I’m sorry I don’t have one.

Shopping Mall. We have a new shopping mall in my town and it has turned out to be a major pain to me. The main drive into the mall now intersects with the gym and getting in and out has added several frustrating minutes of stop lights and lots of cars to what once was a two-minute drive. People are acting as if they have never been to a mall before. It’s absolutely nuts.

9 comments:

bitchphd said...

Yay! And I quite agree with you: blogging is good writing practice, but the trick to it is to be flexible. When you're too busy, you're too busy, and that's all there is to it.

Having said that, I'm glad to hear we'll be seeing more of you again :)

The Misanthrope said...

Thank you andrea and bitchphd. It's also fun to get comments. There is a lot of interesting stuff out there. Blogging is terrific.

Jack Steiner said...

I keep reading about the new Town Mall. A couple of my neighbors spoke about driving out to see it.

Call me crazy, but isn't it filled with the same shops as this end of the Valley.

Good to see that you are going to continue writing.

B2 said...

That tissue dispenser is oddly appropriate, given that the ancient Egyptians pulled *other* substances out through the nostrils of their dead -- their brains. prior to mummification.

The Misanthrope said...

Jack, you are absolutely right. I guess the deal is we don't have to drive into the valley anymore. However, I find that there is no bookstore rather odd. I think there was a deal with the Borders at the other end of town about putting a bookstore in the mall.

B2, I will take your word for it, but it still seems a bit kitschy to me.

Jack Steiner said...

The people who own the Northridge Mall must be less than happy.

The Misanthrope said...

Jack, not to mention Thousand Oaks and Topanga.

Lorianne said...

Good to see you're back 'to stay'...and that you've found 'blog-peace.' Whatever works, do it...

alice, uptown said...

A mall? Who'd a thunk it? Sounds a lot like the rapacious children who fell upon my Halloween candy offerings as if they were underprivileged children waiting for a federally funded school lunch.

I'm glad to see you return to the blog world. You offer great perspective on life's absudities and much more.

As for airplanes, all U.S. carriers suck equally. My advice for long plane rides? Take drugs. Very sedating ones. That way you won't notice that your seat is on top of the one in front of you.