Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Leave Flying to the Birds

I feel about airplanes the way I feel about diets. It seems to me that they are wonderful things for other people to go on.
Jean Kerr, author, playwright

NEW YORK – Let me count the ways airlines are continuing their going out of business strategy:

  • Security. Having to undress before boarding a plane is absolutely asinine.
  • Seats. As an adult, I feel as though I am sitting at a 3rd grader’s school desk. I would have been more comfortable thrown into the back of someone’s trunk.
  • Food. Today was the first day that American Airlines eliminated pretzels. It now costs $3 for the crap they used to provide for free.
  • Luggage. If there is an airport that has a longer wait for baggage than JFK I have not encountered it yet.

Yes, I know that security is not the airlines responsibility, but they could try to make the passengers more comfortable after enduring near strip searches to get into the terminal. Next they will be checking body cavities.

Before traveling Tuesday, I have not flown anywhere in more than a year, and just in that time it seems the seats have gotten smaller (maybe, I have just gotten bigger) and every single seat is filled. I would take another flight, if I ever got stuck in a middle seat (and I wish the person sitting next me had the same philosophy).


Similar to my wait for luggage while baggage handlers were apparently on break.

2 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

I used to love flying but now it has become a bit of a drag that just wears on me.

My shoulders hang off of the edge of the seat and my knees brush up against the seat in front of me.

It is really hard for me to get comfortable.

Chandira said...

British Airways did at least have that in it's favour! I wasn't too uncomfortable, but then, I fit ok, being 5'3" and 115lbs..

Any airline that does away with pretzels is ok my me.. But bring back peanuts! I love peanuts!