Monday, February 13, 2006

A Bit Off Centered, for Now

Somehow, a bachelor never quite gets over the idea that he is a thing of beauty and a boy for ever!
Helen Rowland (1875–1950), journalist

I am on my own and it’s a whole new experience.

It’s taken me two weeks to finally get around to going grocery shopping. Once in the store, I really didn’t need that much. I purchased some cashews, a bottle of cheap red wine to go with the spaghetti I planned to have that evening. A case of bottled water because after two nights without any sparkling or regular bottled water, I vowed, as Scarlet O’Hara did in “Gone with the Wind,” as God is my witness, I shall never be without bottled water again. I purchased some microwave popcorn. A few cans of soup, which has become my dinner on most nights.

I have yet to cook anything and most likely it will be a while before I venture into that territory. My source of food has been my friend’s pizzeria. Get all my pick orders at half price. Mostly, I order minestrone soup, a side of meatballs and a slice of garlic bread. The pizza I have delivered on Friday’s.

Saturday, I dropped off clothes at the dry cleaners. I asked how much the shirts were to have cleaned and I was told $3.75. I was shocked and immediately called the ex and asked how much she paid. She didn’t know, she just paid it. I settled for having the shirts laundered for $1.75. But, if all they do is wash them and press them, then maybe I can do that. Once I buy an iron and ironing board.

My pictures are still situated on the floor around the place, because I need someone to help me hang them, otherwise everything will be off center and crooked.

4 comments:

B2 said...

For your shopping list:

1. Betty Crocker "Warm Delights" instant microwaveable cake

2. wash and wear dress shirts

3. a level (to help hang those pictures)

Jack Steiner said...

I kind of like the off centered look.

The Misanthrope said...

Thanks for the tips. I may use them and combine them. I like the idea of drinking wine and using a level, then call it art no matter what happens.

alice, uptown said...

While you are unable to apply heat to food -- a condition with which I am quite familiar -- I suggest you take some multivitamins. This will cover a multitude of nutritional sins, and the red wine makes a nice chaser.