Friday, February 23, 2007

Homeless and No Future

More than a decade after our fellow citizens began bedding down on the sidewalks, their problems continue to seem so intractable that we have begun to do psychologically what government has been incapable of doing programmatically. We bring the numbers down—not by solving the problem, but by deciding it’s their own damn fault.
Anna Quindlen, journalist

I pass Mike (pictured below) most every morning. I sometimes wish him a good day or I ignore him and silently appreciate that he has already pushed the crosswalk button.


I read that William T. Vollmann has a new book out Tuesday called “Poor People,” which inspired me to ask Mike a couple of questions such as why is he here and in this condition.

I eagerly paid him for his time and photo. Mike told me he is HIV positive, was a millionaire, was addicted to heroin, was a substance abuse counselor, was featured on "20/20" and that an attorney across the street has a copy of the program on CD. He can’t get a job because he has no address and employers won’t hire him when he tells them he lives behind the bushes of a gas station.

I asked if I could take his picture and he immediately struck a pose and I then asked him to show his sign. I bumped into him again after lunch where I saw him pick up an old food container and start to eat from it (I had gave him enough for a good lunch and breakfast). I asked how he gained his millions and how he lost it all, since our earlier interview lasted maybe three turns of the light signal. He put his food container to the side told me he married his girlfriend when he was 18, even though he was gay. They blew all the money partying. He has no family, but once the show aired he discovered that he did have some siblings, but they were lost to the gangs.

All of the above may be true, but I somehow doubt it. I came away with the impression that Mike has deeper problems. It is heartbreaking that we allow people such as Mike to wander and struggle to survive in a society where we have let the safety net for the mentally ill get cut off. We continue to let the mentally ill wander aimlessly and feel good about ourselves when we give them a buck or two. But, I guess Mike is more fortunate than the paralyzed man the hospital just dropped off the other day a few blocks east of where Mike makes sure the signal works for hurried working class heroes.

2 comments:

reasonably prudent poet said...

i'm so glad to see this post about a homeless person. i work in a transitional housing facility for the homeless mentally ill in portland oregon and am always happy when *anybody* acknowledges homeless people and homelessnes. for so many people, homelessness (and mental illness) are nameless, faceless "problems" they either hear about on the news or see sometimes when they happen to be downtown. for those of us who work with these populations, we know them all as people. humans like us, who all have stories and stomachs and all the things that make any of us tick. it doesn't matter if every word this guy said was a lie or a delusion. he's a person and it just makes me happy to know you cared enough to stop and talked to him. if you click my link, you'll find a link to a blog called the in between places: that's a blog that contains stories from the writing group i host at work. if you want to read more stories by homeless people, go there. thanks.

Jack Steiner said...

We don't do enough for our homeless.