Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday Parking

Towns are full of people, houses full of tenants, hotels full of guests, trains full of travelers, cafés full of customers, parks full of promenaders, consulting-rooms of famous doctors full of patients, theatres full of spectators, and beaches full of bathers. What previously was, in general, no problem, now begins to be an everyday one, namely, to find room.
José Ortega y Gasset (1883–1955), Spanish essayist, philosopher

I decided that I would walk to Kohl’s department store this morning, it’s about a half mile from the house, and also get a cup of coffee from Coffee Bean and read the newspaper while people went crazy. I was too late.

Turning the corner to the shopping center, I was shocked. The parking lot was full at 7:30 a.m. This is Simi Valley, not the San Fernando Valley or the West Side. I took a picture and turned right around to make my own cup of coffee and read the newspaper in my reading chair.

5 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

I dread having to go to any store during this time of year.

Anonymous said...

On the Mark says: I think, like your Thanksgiving post, that Simi is a state of mind.

The Misanthrope said...

Jack, from now until Feburary all the stores all the time will be a mess.

OTM, sadly, you're right. Additionally, I hate the politics of this right-wing-nut town.

¡Benjaminista! said...

More Ortega y Gasset!

Consulting Rooms London said...

The car park packed at 7.30am. Wow!! That's supposed to be the quiet time, what's it like in the middle of the day?